This list is from Dr. James Dobson’s Family Talk website; there was not a button to share it, so I’m just copying it for a post (it’s from his book, Love for a Lifetime).
So often when Kerry and I read lists we will try to add or subtract to the list. For the most part, this list is spot on…in my humble opinion.
So take time to go through this list and see if you would add to it. If you are a stickler about rules as I am, then for everyone you add, you should subtract one off. Just sayin’
Dr. Dobson’s List
1. Reserve time for one another at all costs.
2. Spend only what you have — financial stress kills romance.
3. Leave no room for selfishness — be relationship givers and not takers.
4. Make sure the “leave and cleave” principle takes place (Genesis 2:24).
5. Bring your expectations in line with reality — the perfect spouse does not exist.
6. Trust one another and build reasonable boundaries — jealousy and trust rarely co-exist.
7. Avoid alcohol or substance abuse, pornography, gambling, and other potential addictions that will quickly kill your marriage and your life.
8. Be content with having enough — “Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread” (Proverbs 30:8).
9. Think of your marriage as a marathon — you will need determination and faith to go the distance of a lifetime.
10. Keep Christ at the center and remember His words, “In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world” (John 16:33).
The 10 Essentials for Your Marriage are based on
Dr. James Dobson’s Love For A Lifetime